All students in 6-12 are members of one of four Houses named after four prominent islands in the Philippines.
The House System at GESM aims to provide all students with opportunities to participate in a range of weekly activities, both sporting and academic, that they otherwise might not get within normal school hours and life outside GESM. For example; inter-House Basketball, Dodgeball, Football and Volleyball; House Charity drives for local organizations; inter-House Chess, quizzes and academic challenges.
GESM House System 6 key aims:
- Promote friendly competition, teamwork and cooperation amongst the student body
- Foster positive relationships between students in the German and International sections
- Encourage participation and inklusion in school, class and extra-curricular activities
- Encourage good behavior to create a positive learning environment at GESM
- Promote the use of German language at GESM
- Provide leadership opportunities for students
The House system is intended to complement and improve school life for students and make GESM the best school it can possibly be. Each House elects two House Leaders (one from each section, German and International). The role of the House Leaders is to organize their House for activities and competitions and ensure all members of their House participate and are included.
Students are awarded House Points for participating in House activities as well as their work in and out of the classroom. House Points are tallied and at the end of the academic year and the winning House is awarded the House Cup.
The House System is an excellent way to bring staff and students from both sections together to build a true and enduring school community spirit.